Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Poisoned Well

On the road to the city of Rayy, I met a man who assailed all those who passed by with violent words and vile opinions. Though most averted their eyes and walked on silently, if more briskly, I stopped and stood before him. He continued his harangue and said, “Nothing is more foul than the Jew! His customs are alien. He drinks the blood of innocents for his rites, and poisons our wells!”

I said, “Tell me of these rites. I am a little acquainted with Jewish custom and know of none for which human blood is required.”

He said proudly, “I have no specific knowledge of these rites. For the wise have said: sometimes it is best not to know too much of a thing.”

I answered, “This is true, but there is never merit in ignorance, and no virtue in slander.”

If he shuts his eyes, he is blind.
If he stops his ears, he is deaf.
Would that he were only mute!

The son of Mary cannot raise the corpse who says,
“I am not dead!”

No comments:

Post a Comment