Sunday, October 14, 2012

Washed in the Waters of Kawthar

When Rama, the King of Ayodhya, ascended to paradise, he performed his ablutions by the calm waters of Kawthar, washing away all wordly cares. As he arose, he beheld Krishna braiding Radha's hair in the shade of the Tree of Life. Rama greeted him, and said,

"O Krishna, who will you have for your enemies?" 

Krishna said, "To Duryodhana, I give him the aspect of envy and willful blindness, for he is the child of Gandhari. 

"To Karna, I give him the aspect of blazing fire, burning his heart without end, for he is the child of Surya." 

Rama said, "And who will have for your friends?" 

Krishna said, "To Yudishtira, I give him the perfection of righteous duty, for he is the child of Dharma. 

"To Bhima, I give him the strength of the wind, for he is the child of Vayu. 

"To Arjuna, I give him the mastery of commanding restraint, for he is the child of Indra. 

"To Nakula and Sahadeva, I give them the beauty of patient reflection, for they are the children of the Ashvins." 

Rama said, "O Krishna, and what will you give Draupadi, the wife of these five friends?" 

Krishna said, "To Draupadi, I give the gift of chastity each morning, as she washes in her bath. And I give her the service and devotion of Dharma, of Vayu, of Indra, of the Ashvins. And to these five husbands, I give the beauty and counsel of this fairest of wives." 

And in this moment, with the sound of these words still upon his lips, Krishna was born from Devaki's womb, the youngest son of Vasudeva, the manifestation of the Most High.

No comments:

Post a Comment