Monday, July 3, 2006

Six months in.

At six months on this blog, I’ve determined more clearly how The End of Reason came to be, at least broadly. This blog was intended as an opportunity for self-reflection in the process of writing, and I expect in six months I’ll be able to wrap it up and close it down. I expect to finish Breaking the Wheel by January 2007. How am I so certain?

I’ve made the arguments I’ve wanted to make and have, partly unconsciously, put them in the order I want to make them. That’s done. Yet BTW remains a work in progress. What does this contradiction mean? At more than 30,000 words, BTW is essentially complete. I’ve spent the last day outlining the text as it exists today, with the basic form of organization in place and appropriately outlined; I now have a template on which to drop subsequent observations and stories that will strengthen these arguments, drawing on various sources of Hindu religious tradition. If I were to die tomorrow, the book would basically be complete. But another six months will make it a far better, slightly longer, and moderately more entertaining, book.

And then what...?

No comments:

Post a Comment