Monday, March 20, 2006

Samsara

Remember the death of Viradha, a wicked demon. When Rama, Lakshmana, and Sita entered the Dandaka forest, this monster appeared to them and blocked their way. He was awful to behold; his eyes were black and sunken, his mouth a bloodstained gate into hell, and his bloated crooked body was covered in the skins of men and animals. He was as large as a storm cloud and his voice, like thunder, shook the ground and the trees of the forest. His eyes fell upon Sita and lust swelled his heart. He said to Rama, “Who are you?”

Rama was not afraid and said, “I am Rama, son of Dasaratha. This is my brother, Lakshmana. This is my wife, Sita. We are…”

Viradha interrupted Rama; he took hold of Sita in his monstrous hand and said to Rama, “You and your brother may go back with your lives. This one I will keep as my own.”

At this, Lakshmana became enraged and brandished his bow. But Viradha only laughed, saying, “I have been granted a boon by Brahma. No earthly weapon can harm me. So put away your bow and escape with your lives. This pretty one is my pet. Are your lives so worthless that you would trade them for the price of a mere woman?”

Rama said, “Whatever boon was granted, was granted in my name. I may rescind such a boon at my pleasure and I am not asked of my doings.” Rama and Lakshmana each fired two arrows at Viradha; they streaked across the sky like meteors. One pierced his swollen belly. Two severed his crooked arms. The last struck off his head and Viradha fell dead where he stood. But before their eyes his corpse was transformed and a beautiful youth stood before them in Viradha’s place. He knelt at Rama’s feet and then at Lakshmana’s and Sita’s, pressing the dust upon his forehead. He said, “Lord, I have been transformed, released from a curse. I have been living as a demon, evil in word, act and intention. You have lifted me from that curse by killing me. For whomsoever God punishes in this world, he is freed from punishment in the next. I am free of my sin by your grace and you have granted me forgiveness at the point of your arrows. Forgive me, Rama. I was blind before, but you have lifted the darkness from my eyes and washed the evil from my heart.”

Rama held up his right hand and said to the youth, “Go in peace to the world beyond. I have heard your pleas; I accept your repentance and rescind your debt.”

Thus, see how Rama is the arbiter of right and wrong. See how Rama repays those who trespass against dharma, who act evilly in the world. See how such evil rebounds upon itself and how good redeems it entirely.

After Sita was abducted by Ravana, Rama and Lakshmana were attacked by the demon Kabandha. Kabandha possessed enormous arms that could reach into the three worlds and with these arms he took whatever he pleased. This was a tremendous power, and Kabandha abused this power often. He stole what did not belong to him. He grasped men and animals, taking them into his mouth to sate his unyielding appetite. And he wrecked the sacrifices and austerities performed by others. Kabandha took hold of Rama and Lakshmana and told them, “I am hungry for your flesh. If you have erred or are angry, make peace with the world for in a moment you will be food for me.”

Rama and Lakshmana, however, were no easy prey. With their swords, they hacked off Kabandha’s arms at his shoulders. The demon howled while blood poured copiously from his mutilated body, drenching the earth. Kabandha said, “You are Rama for only God could overcome me with such ease. Listen to me for a moment. Hear me out, O best of men. Once I was as beautiful as Lakshmi, your wife, and as strong as Indra, your servant. But because I was proud and foolish I sometimes shed my handsome form and took on this loathsome aspect. With my grotesque arms, I harassed the world until one day I angered a sage who cursed me to remain in this form, unable to transform into my original self. At first, I thought nothing of the curse, for this body allowed me to act always as I pleased and no one could stop me. But at last I grew weary of this body and even of my own behavior. I had indulged my many appetites for so long, I could no longer control them; they mastered me and I became their slave. But I took solace in the sage’s curse, for he had promised that I would be released from this punishment when Rama appeared and hacked off my arms and immolated my broken body. I ask then, Lord Rama, to destroy me entirely. Build a pyre for me and cast me into the fire. To die at your hands is my sincerest wish.”

Rama and Lakshmana fulfilled Kabandha’s request and Kabandha took on his previous form and ascended into heaven. Rama’s seeming punishment was, in truth, the sweetest blessing.

With this, now you might understand what Rama meant when he arrived in Lanka and called Ravana out to fight, “I have come to punish you, to put you to death. Show me your courage for which you are famous. I have heard rumors of it, but all I know of it is that you deceived me and carried off my wife to satisfy your lusts. Come out warrior. My arrows will purify you and, with the blows of my arms and with the edge of my sword, I will make your blood holy that you may perform your final ablutions in it. Do not be afraid. Death at my hands is inevitable for all creatures and to be desired.” Ravana trembled but answered, “My life is not yet in your hands.” But Rama said, “From the moment you were born, your life has belonged to me. But it has been for you to decide how I would take it. When you abducted my unwilling wife, only then was the matter decided. Already I have devoured your life, Ravana, and the lives of all these warriors. Come out, King of Lanka, and face me. Though I deprive the world of life, few are blessed to look into my eyes as they die. Though I stand always in the presence of all creatures, few perceive me as directly as you do.”

With the tip of his arrow, Rama set the world aright. Rama saw all of this according to dharma and was himself at peace, even as Kaikeyi rejected him and sent him into the wilderness. Rama obeyed and never spoke harshly to her, never faulted her nor humiliated her and forgave her readily when she sought his forgiveness. See, Aurangzeb, in the examples of Viradha and Kabandha how Rama acted. He sought nothing from the fruit of his actions, except to maintain dharma. Because Viradha and Kabandha understood who Rama was, they died seeking his blessing, even as they died at his hands. At first, Valin could not understand, but when understanding swept over him, he likewise blessed Rama, though Rama’s actions, to others, seemed shameful. Surpanakha however found no relief, for though her mutilation revealed her true self, she still saw nothing of herself and lived on in willing blindness. Likewise Ravana was proud and arrogant and even as he faced Rama’s power, he thought he could overcome dharma and thus he died again and again even to this day. Through this, you might understand the meaning of samsara.

No comments:

Post a Comment