Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Shadow Play (2)

In Kerala, where I stopped briefly, I saw a shadow play of the Ramayana. But the day was warm and, as my eyes gradually dimmed, the shadows took on wondrous shapes of many colors. My mind drifted and I dozed to the sound of Rama’s wedding and exile, Sita’s abduction and rescue, Ravana’s defeat and death, and Rama’s coronation.

In his time, Rama was the best of creation, born the oldest of four noble brothers; he was the incarnation of Vishnu; he was the presence of God on Earth. Rama was the favorite son of King Dasaratha of Ayodhya and was trained by Vasishta and Viswamithra. In a test of strength, he broke Shiva’s bow and strung Vishnu’s bow and in this there are signs to understand. He captured the heart of Sita; she was his wife and his dear companion. After Rama came of age, his father stepped down from the throne to see Rama crowned in his place. But Kaikeyi, Rama’s stepmother, conspired to give the throne to her son, Bharatha. Calling upon Dasaratha to fulfill a promise he had once made to her, Kaikeyi sent Rama into exile for fourteen years. And though the people, and even her own son, cursed Kaikeyi, Rama was obedient and fulfilled his father’s promise. Renouncing the luxuries of the palace, Sita and Lakshmana, Rama’s brother, followed Rama into forest exile. There they lived for many years as ascetics until Ravana, the demon king of Lanka, abducted Sita.

To reclaim his wife, Rama killed Vali, who was king of the monkeys, and crowned Sugreeva king in his place. Hanuman, a servant of Sugreeva, set fire to Ravana’s city on the island of Lanka, returning to Rama with news of Sita’s whereabouts. Under Rama’s command, Sugreeva and Hanuman led their army against Ravana. When Rama defeated the demon king, Sita proved to the people that she had been faithful. At the end of his fourteen years of exile, Rama returned to Ayodhya where Bharatha had ruled not as king, but as Rama’s regent. Rama was crowned in his father’s city and restored peace in his family, making Bharatha his heir and granting Kaikeyi the forgiveness she sought saying, “Though you contrived against me, God made it for good. You are as much my mother as the one who bore me, therefore accept me again as your son.”

When I awoke, a sliver of moon was setting in the west. The greater part of its surface, untouched by the sun but bathed in the light of the Earth, glowed dimly and ghostly white. I saw in that moon the whole of the Ramayana; that splinter so well illuminated, bright like a struck match, and above it the full surface. I thought, “I will not let the brightest part distract me; I will look with deeper perception and see the whole of it, the entirety of it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment